Sellry is a technically-oriented ecommerce development agency with a highly creative flair. We specialize in helping ecommerce companies maximize their brand and conversion rate simultaneously. Our clients range from pre-revenue startups to global tech companies. Our vast experience in diverse verticals, business models and aesthetic styles, allows us to discern what the deeper problems are, as well as the best way to solve them.
Our team is passionate, highly skilled and committed to high performance and elegant solutions. We value what is up and coming and prepare accordingly to offer the best services, products and support available. When we can’t find solutions for our clients, we create them.
As our department head, you’ll be responsible to envision, validate, prototype and orchestrate the technical solutions we offer to our clients.
Your role requires a mixture of technical acumen with a huge dose of creativity. You are brilliant with code and have full stack engineering experience. You jump at the chance to dig into problems, come up with solutions and offer sound advice that clients can rely on.
You communicate well and can explain simply what needs to happen to those that are non-technical.
As a fully distributed team, we value talent regardless of location. US hours, fluency in English and cultural familiarity are must-haves.
- Participate in project estimation, scoping, and documentation.
- Lead requirements gathering and solution architecture for all of our projects, including with technologies unfamiliar to you.
- Initiate and lead (primarily via delegation) team activities on a variety of technical projects, including validation/prototyping, stabilization/optimization/problem-solving/unblocking existing projects, platform/framework implementation/configuration/theming, and custom development of apps/integrations/scripts/sites.
- Attend clients meetings to offer real-time advisory/ideation for technical aspects of projects from inception to delivery.
- Triage problems according to direction from the Head of Engineering, including diagnosis, workaround implementation, root cause analysis, post mortem and other processes. Help manage the internal team in rectifying problem situations promptly and as smoothly as possible.
- Stay up to date on the latest trends in ecommerce tech. Recommend emerging technologies, partners, patterns, methodologies, conventions, standards to company leadership for exploration. Help our teams adopt those selected by leadership.
- Ensure Sellry’s own website models up-to-date technology and best practices.
- Interact with leadership, sales, strategy, Head of Engineering, creative, and client teams.
- Report to Head of Engineering
- Participate in Pre Sales internal and client-facing meetings
- Participate in regular team and leadership meetings.
- As needed, approve technical aspects of project plans and proposals, including key dates.
- Participate in the creation of thought leadership and marketing materials.
What we’d like to see
- You have experience building and managing high-performance ecommerce sites/apps using platforms like Shopify and building custom apps/integrations with third-party APIs and services.
- You demonstrate the ability to code frontend interfaces which are highly performant and adhere to modern best practices.
- You have a deep knowledge of the modern web stack.
- You’re biased toward action, and have an upbeat, proactive attitude, without being unrealistic or overpromising.
- You have the ability to drop into an unfamiliar situation, quickly get your bearings and recommend a workable plan of action which you then implement directly and/or delegate in the best way given the resources available.
- You enjoy solving problems on the fly. You don’t need all the details in order to begin diagnosing an issue.
- You’re adept at breaking down and bringing clarity to complex and ill-defined problems. You readily spot and draw attention to deeper issues below the surface.
- You’re great at taking initiative, ownership and responsibility, but you’re also willing to follow directions.
- You have experience interacting with and creating solutions for clients and end users, scoping the technical solution required to address their requirements, assess clients’ met and unmet needs and optimize value for both the client and Sellry.
- You can code with the best of them, but deeply enjoy leading and developing human beings as well.
- You communicate accurately and clearly, both verbally and in writing.
- You adhere to best practices for source control, code quality and documentation.
- You are familiar with modern Ux best practices
- Bonus: You have used cutting-edge technologies (please list)
- Bonus: You are familiar with modern infrastructure and devops approaches
Attach a cover letter with samples of projects you’ve worked on. Outline why you are interested in the position and what draws you the most. List your relevant experience and include a brief paragraph about yourself.
Looking forward to working with you!